Saturdays are spent a little differently by Team Massive – namely as our keen cyclists rode through the night in support of our UK Charity of the Year – the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust (CHECT) – a few weeks ago.
Donned in high-visibility vests, dashing jerseys and fuelled by a whole load of carbs, ten plucky cyclists from the Massive London office set out on a unique, after-dark tour of the city last Saturday night.
While the rest of us were busy enjoying a lazy or crazy weekend, the team gathered at the Lee Velopark in East London and prepared to cover 50km or 100km throughout the night, after a huge fundraising effort by the entire team for CHECT.
This was Massive’s first major fundraiser for the charity, and we wanted to kick off as we mean to go on in support of its incredibly important mission. CHECT supports families affected by retinoblastoma, a rare form of eye cancer that primarily affects babies and young children. They provide help and support from diagnosis in childhood, and through into adulthood. CHECT also funds research into the prevention and treatment of retinoblastoma.
As the sun rose over London, our cyclists were home and dry, having been out on the road for almost 5 hours and covering an accumulated 600km between them!
‘It was a fantastic night out,’ said Piotr Jagiello, our IT Manager. ‘Can’t believe I stayed up till 4am and didn’t drink any beer! Let’s do it again’.
Overall, Team Massive raised upwards of £1,200 for CHECT. Being such a small charity with no government funding, these generous donations can make a real impact on the work that CHECT do.
- £5 can provide a newsletter offering information and support to five people affected by retinoblastoma
- £50 can fund a place at a regional event for a family or friend feeling isolated
- £500 can fund grants for up to three families struggling with the cost of monthly hospital visits
- £5,000 can fund a weekend for a teenager affected by retinoblastoma to help build their confidence
- £50,000 can fund a vital research project, helping to change things for the future
We are really proud of the team for the great effort and commitment shown, and the hours of training put in. Bring on the next challenge!
Fancy getting involved in our upcoming events? We have a packed calendar of fundraising activities planned throughout the rest of the year, including but not limited to:
- 4th July: The Deltatre and Massive Charity Football Tournament
- 13th July: Run Through Regent’s park 10K
- 8th September: Pedal4Cancer London to Cambridge Cycle
- 8th December: Santa Run 5/10k in Victoria Park (Santa suit included!)
Just contact Ellie at email@example.com if any of these sounds up your street!